Easy Steps To Add Rich Media To Your New LinkedIn Profile
You should take advantage of LinkedIn’s new feature, add Rich Media files to embellish your new personal profiles. The feature allows you to “add media links to images, presentations, audio files, videos, and documents.” These files may be added to Summary, Experience (each individual) as well as education. It is my experience that this may challenge the average user, as well as some advanced users.
Just what is Rich Media files and wherein lies the challenge?
Typically Rich Media is defined as a large range of interactive multimedia where multimedia is a combination of various content and media forms. A versatile media player is required to view the files if embedded on a Web page such as LinkedIn. When downloaded to your computer, you need the appropriate media player (depends on format) installed to view. LinkedIn also allows simple documents such as photo images, PDFs and word documents.
The challenge is you cannot directly upload the media from your computer’s hard drive to LinkedIn. It must sit somewhere out on the Web and have a public URL (address) associated with it. This is accomplished in one of two ways:
1. Select an appropriate content provider and establish an account. Most are free. Upload the information to your content provider and locate and copy the address. Go to your LinkedIn profile and < Edit Profile >. Click on the icon (see icon in the image to the left) in the section you want to add it to, paste the URL and save.
- Image Providers: Pinterest, somecards, Twitter
- Video Providers: CNN, Forbes, Vimeo, YouTube
- Audio Providers: Band Camp, Rdio
- Presentations and Documents: BoxNet, Google Docs, SlideShare
- Other: Kickstarter, Quantcast
2. If you have a Web site or a blog (or even your own server) you can upload to one of your folders, or set up a new folder specifically for this purpose. On WordPress just upload images or documents to your media files. Again, you must locate and copy the URL address for insertion into your LinkedIn profile as above.
Other third party applications may no longer be used on LinkedIn. However, prior users of the Slideshare Presentations as well as the Portfolio Display applications saw their content migrated automatically to their Summary section.
For assistance with this, or other challenges with your LinkedIn profiles or small business Web marketing on LinkedIin, please contact me or call 847-634-6535.